The Shore’s favorite season is upon us, and there’s a good chance you’ll be spending a leisurely day or two at the beach this summer.
You’ll find a perfect spot on the sand, set up your blanket and soak up the sun. Lunch time will roll around, and all that swimming, sunbathing and salt air will have made you hungry. But the last thing you’ll want to do is pack up and set off in search of something to eat.
Luckily, you won’t have to.
Plenty of Shore restaurants will bring your lunch right to your beach chair — no dusting off of sand required. Here’s a look at some local places that offer beach-side delivery.
Visiting a Monmouth County beach?
1) Alice’s Kitchen: 1108 Ocean Ave. in Sea Bright. Try a chicken cordon bleu panini with ham, Swiss and honey mustard; a blackened chicken sandwich with cheddar cheese; a smoothie of apple, pear, banana, milk and honey; or store-made gluten-free corn and banana muffins. Delivery is available in Sea Bright, Rumson, Fair Haven and to the beach clubs; call 732-747-5999 or visit www.aliceskitchen.net.
2) Baxter’s Burgers and Fries: 49 Carr Ave. in Keansburg. Try a burger topped with pork roll and American cheese, macaroni and cheese, or chili and raw onions; a black bean burger, or french fries with chipotle aioli or horseradish mayo. Call 732-769-5400.
3) Don’s Pizza King: 811 Main St. in Belmar. A mainstay in the borough since 1967, Don’s serves up pizza, of course, but also sausage sandwiches, cheese steaks, calzones and onion rings. Delivery is available in Belmar, Avon and the beginning part of Spring Lake beach closest to Belmar; call 732-681-6373 or visit http://donspizzaking.com.
4) Fins Tropicali Cuisine: 2100 Route 35 in Sea Girt and 120 Main St. in Bradley Beach. The flavors at Fins are all about the tropics, from Jamaican-style wings and sweet plantains to burritos, tacos and enchiladas stuffed with grilled chicken, steak and shrimp and served with rice and beans. Call 732-359-8210 or visit www.finsusa.com.
5) Jimmy’s Cucina: 301 Union Ave. in Brielle. The pizzas here are all about the toppings — try a pie topped with everything you’d put in a taco, plus the shells; homemade three-cheese macaroni and cheese, or chicken, mozzarella, bacon and homemade ranch. Delivery is available to the southern Monmouth and northern Ocean County beaches; call 732-528-5566 or visit http://jimmyspizzasubs.com.
6) Joe Joe’s Pizza: 412 Route 71 in Spring Lake. Try a shrimp parm sub, a cheese steak on garlic bread, or a grandma pizza, a thin-crust pie topped with plum tomato sauce, fresh mozzarella and basil. Delivery is available in Spring Lake and to the Sea Girt beaches; call 732-359-7184.
7) Manasquan Pizza: 179 Main St. in Manasquan. At this longtime borough restaurant, go for a Mexican pizza topped with ground beef and cheese, a Greek pie with feta, garlic and olives, or try a stromboli filled with ham, salami or veggies. Call 732-223-3388 or visit www.manasquanpizza.com.
8) Muscle Maker Grill: 1818 Route 35 in Wall. This health food chain offers a menu of nutrition-packed options: Try the Godfather bowl, made with grilled chicken breast, mushrooms, roasted red peppers, reduced-fat mozzarella and gluten- and fat-free balsamic vinaigrette; the Hollywood salad, a mix of grilled chicken breast, turkey bacon, reduced-fat cheddar cheese, tomatoes and scallions over romaine lettuce; or the Arizona, grilled chicken breast and turkey bacon over brown rice with tomatoes, scallions and the restaurant’s “signature sauce,” which is gluten free and has no carbohydrates. Call 732-280-1998 or visit www.musclemakergrill.com.
9) Talula’s: 550 Cookman Ave. No. 108 in Asbury Park. If a picnic packed with artisinal baked goods and dishes made with local ingredients sounds good, Talula’s is your place. Try salads of chickpeas with olives, radishes and pecorino, or wheatberries with pickled beets and goat cheese; a kale salad with fried capers and a poached egg, or a chicken salad sandwich with dried cherries and tarragon. Delivery is available from Allenhurst to Avon, east of Route 35; call 732-455-3003 or visit http://talulaspizza.com.
10) Vintage Subs: 725 Cookman Ave. in Asbury Park. Asbury Park Press readers named this shop as one of their favorite places for a sandwich, raving about the Stone Pony, which is made with ham, turkey, Swiss, Russian dressing and coleslaw, and the Paramount, roast beef topped with provolone and horseradish mustard. Deliveries to Asbury Park and Ocean Grove come with a free beach ball. Call 732-361-5839 or visit www.vintagesubsasburypark.com.
Visiting an Ocean County beach?
11) The Chicken or The Egg: 207 North Bay Ave. in Beach Haven. This Long Beach Island restaurant, which is known across the state for its chicken wing varieties, doesn’t deliver small orders to the beach, but owner Mark Cohen said they do limited catering, “which would include delivery, wherever it takes.” (Or, you can pick up an order of the CHEGG’s famous wings, coated in your choice of more than a dozen sauces; pan-seared crab cakes with Creole remoulade, a chicken taco salad served in a crispy tortilla shell, or beer-battered fish and chips. Call 609-492-3695 or visit https://492fowl.com.
12) Chop Shop: 1415 Blvd. in Seaside Heights. Take a break from the usual boardwalk fare and order American favorites with a twist. There’s a burger topped with bacon, home fries and a sunny-side-up egg on a croissant, a shrimp po’ boy burger, or disco fries with cheddar cream and truffle demi glaze. Delivery is available from Seaside Park to Lavallette. Call 732-375-3066.
13) Johnny Fries: 1960 Route 35 North in Ortley Beach. Freshly cut Idaho potatoes are fried daily here, and you can get them topped with chili and Mexican cheese or pepperoni, tomato sauce and mozzarella cheese, or try sweet potato fries with marshmallow sauce. There also are sandwiches made with sausage from Joe Leone’s and baskets filled with clam strips and fried shrimp. Call 732-250-8000 or visit http://johnnyfries.com.
14) Wally’s Breakfast and Lunch: 712 Long Beach Blvd. in Surf City. This longtime restaurant reopened last fall under new owners, and beginning July 1, you will be able to enjoy their fare on the beach. There are sandwiches of pastrami with pickled jalapenos and garlic aioli and roast beef with caramelized onions and horseradish sauce, plus bowls of jambalaya, chicken and vegetables over jasmine rice, and vegetable macaroni and cheese. Delivery is available from 3rd to 13th streets in Surf City; call 609-494-1667 or visit www.wallymitchells.com.